Thursday, May 27, 2010

500 w Summary

This entry celebrates the sad end of the Pre-Production process. Though I’ve loved picking up new Photoshop skills in painting, learning neater more professional ways to construct storyboards and character sheets, I have still had enormous trouble getting my 2d art style to translate into the 3d realm. I am happy with the results, and pleased to hear that Pre-Production skills are invaluable to any production company.
I was itching to begin production, and sneakily I have jumped ahead. I tried to get pre-production knocked out of the way fast, and poured most of my efforts into a colour scheme, and an effective narrative.

Layouts helped somewhat in constructing scenes, and references collected from John K's blog added to my knowledge of colour schemes and other aesthetics. I fear I wont be touching my pencil much anymore, as Winter has fallen, Production begins.

The hardest aspect of pre-production for me, was the fact that I could conjure up a fantastic image, reeking of cute and cuddly characters. But when applied to the 3d world, a lot of the characters lost their cuteness. Similarly the fantasy styled environment, has made way for a much more spooky, eerier land scape, which was I did not predict, but am happy with none the less.
Seems like a lot of happy accidents occur, and a lot of disasters when forcing the loveable aspects of 2d into 3d. Some say its foolish to jump from pre-pro to production, and back and forth, modelling and redrawing eating up so much time. But I needed the learning exercises of modelling characters, so many attempts were definitely executed, with sad results. Interesting results, but the character looked nothing like the 2d version.

No comments:

Post a Comment