Monday, July 12, 2010

Making grass.



After watching Pixar's 'Up' and dealing with the usual diminishing thoughts that such a massive studio instils upon a student, I marveled at the grass.
I have sphereical planes with some texture and bumpmap work to create the illusion of grass and follage, but sadly It still looks flat, and unconvincing.

Usually I tend not to get bogged down on enviromental props, as I feel an audience without the critical mind of an animator only soaks up background imagery subconsciously, however this inability to create realistic grass is bugging me.

Fur physics in Maya could achieve this, though the scene I wish to add is already quite compilated to the point of slowing down a computer with decent ram and graphics card, the fur could be it's death.

Obviously I could render different sections of the scene, but having a camera move complicates this, and keeping it all together is a more time consuming render, but more controlled and less work in compositing.

Pixar creates beautiful intertwining grass, but I'm sure whatever script or technology they have up their sleeve, will stay hidden for a good long time.

Help! Whats a render effective way to create grass?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Layer it.
    Stage the grass in depth.
    -Have an undulating solid green texture in the background
    - A grass procedural texture in the mid ground
    - Geometry in the foreground.
    Its not pixar, but it will render in under 30s and you don't need much ram either.

    ReplyDelete